These light and fluffy scones are perfect anytime treats, but they are especially good for Mothers’ Day tea. We hope you enjoy making them as much as eating them.
Makes: 12 Scones / Prep Time: 30 mins / Cook Time: 10 – 15 mins / Total Time: 45 mins
- 600ml sifted cake flour
- 30ml baking powder
- 5ml salt
- 250g butter
- 3 beaten eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter using your fingertips (do not let the butter become warm or you will end up with hard, flat scones) if the butter is hard, grate it into the bowl.
- Mix until the mixture resembles the texture of coarse crumbs.
- Beat together the eggs and buttermilk. Add to the flour mixture.
- Using a butter knife, gently cut in the liquid to form a soft dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and gently pat to a thickness of 2cm.
- Cut out rounds using a cookie-cutter. Place the scones on a greased baking tray.
- Place tray in the fridge for 15 minutes. This will help them rise during cooking.
- Brush the tops with buttermilk and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until puffed up and golden.
- Cut in half and serve warm with generous dollops of strawberry jam and cream.
We would love to see your creations, so please take some pictures and post them to facebook, twitter or instagram and hashtag #baytreebakes