This Summer Berry Pavlova is the perfect Summer Christmas recipe. Make the meringue a few days ahead of time and assemble just before serving… Heaven on a plate.
Summer Berry Pavlova
FOR THE MERINGUE
- 8 egg whites
- 250g castor sugar
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 25g corn flour, sifted
- 25 g fresh or frozen berries
- 75g castor sugar
- 50ml water plus extra 25ml water
- 25g cornflour
- 250ml cream, whipped
- Fresh or frozen (and thawed) Summer berries
- A few sprigs of mint
- Place berries, castor sugar and water in pan and bring to boil gently. Mix the cornflour with extra water and pour into berries quickly whist stirring. Check consistency, you may need to use more cornflour and water.
- Blend, then pass through a fine seive, using the back of a spoon or ladle to push the berries through
- Preheat the oven to 120°C. Using a pencil, mark out the circumference of a dinner plate on baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl or an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in the castor sugar (15ml at a time), until the meringue looks glossy.
- Fold in the icing sugar and corn flour. Spread the meringue inside the circle of baking parchment, creating a crater by making the sides a little higher than the middle.
- Bake for 3 hours.
- When the meringue has cooled, spoon cream on top and decorate with berries and mint leaves. The berry coulis can be drizzled over the top or served on the side.
- The meringue can be made ahead of time and kept in an airtight container in the fridge, assemble just before serving.
We would love to see your creations, so please take some pictures and post them to facebook, twitter or instagram and hashtag #baytreebakes